Re: dejagnu version update?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: dejagnu version update?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 18:33:34 -0600

On 5/14/20 5:34 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> And then current development appears ongoing, ferociously indeed, with the
> last check in literally today (barring my time zone), as indicated here:
> <https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcl/timeline>.

  It's obvious I haven't been paying attention, so much for my
retirement... :-)  That's awesome actually, and it does look active.

>  Other than that what would be the technical advantage from rewriting
> DejaGnu in Python (/me asking as a Python ignoramus)?

  The main thought was more towards an actual design and clean APIs, and
assuming Tcl/Expect was unmaintained, needed to use something that'll be
around for a few more decades. Assuming Tcl/Expect are maintained
forever, that's a bit of a moot point. Everybody has always complained
about using Tcl in DejaGnu. Python is just much more commonly used in
the current century.

  Right now working through patches is probably more important. :-)
There's zero patches on the DejaGnu savannah site, so I'd ask anybody to
submit them so I don't have to dig them out of email archives.

        - rob -