Re: Proposed new API call: testcase group {begin|end}

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: Proposed new API call: testcase group {begin|end}
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 17:31:01 -0500

Tom Tromey wrote:
Jacob> Would passing a code block inhibit byte-compiliation?

I have no idea.  At least for gdb, I tend to doubt it would matter.
Tcl's opportunistic JIT only applies to procedure bodies, so code running at top-level in a script file is never byte-compiled.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have adopted it as "testcase group eval <name> { code goes here }" as a second wrapper around the internal API, where the consistency checks will be performed.

I will also implement "testcase group {begin|end} <name>" calls because those will certainly not impede the opportunistic JIT in procedures and are easier to make conditional on [testsuite can call api testcase group] if a testsuite wants to declare groups but also wants to still run under 1.6.2 and earlier.

-- Jacob