Documentation bug for target_list combinations?

From: Jonathan Wakely
Subject: Documentation bug for target_list combinations?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 13:49:50 +0000

Sorry to bombard this list with more mails than it usually gets in a
month ;-)

https://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/Global-config-file.html
has an example using:

  set target_list "mips-lsi-sim{,soft-float,el}"

which it says will use "all possible combinations of the --soft-float
and the --el (little endian) options". Isn't that wrong?

Ignoring the fact that GCC's option for little-endian on MIPS is -EL
not --el, that will test three combinations:

  mips-lsi-sim
  mips-lsi-sim/soft-float
  mips-lsi-sim/el

But that's not all possible combinations, because it's missing:

  mips-lsi-sim/soft-float/el

I believe "mips-lsi-sim{,soft-float}{,el}" would test all possible
combinations, or "mips-lsi-sim{,soft-float,el,soft-float/el}".

Is the manual mistaken? Or is this another case where the GCC
testsuite (which I'm familiar with) does things differently?