Re: RFC: Possible change in DejaGnu/Automake integration

From: Jonathan Wakely
Subject: Re: RFC: Possible change in DejaGnu/Automake integration
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 13:53:59 +0100

On 14/04/21 23:01 -0500, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
The discovery of bug#47382 (<URL:https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47382>) has led to follow-on effects and efforts to resolve this issue have led to an interesting question: how are existing projects communicating build/host/target triplets to their DejaGnu testsuites and would adding this information to Automake-generated site.exp files be useful?

GCC overrides automake's default rule for site.exp and creates its own
site.exp file, which includes (among other things):

        @echo "set target_triplet $(target)" >> ./site.tmp

It looks like it wouldn't really make any difference to GCC if
automake did that automatically, because we still need to create
site.exp ourselves for the other things we add in there.