Re: Excluding FAILs from UNSUPPORTED test cases

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Excluding FAILs from UNSUPPORTED test cases
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:02:13 +0200

Hi,

Proceeding with the ${tool}-dg-prune based solution, I came across a
test that does not emit PASS+UNSUPPORTED, and FAIL+UNSUPPORTED instead,
so I went digging. It would appear that, when ${tool}-dg-prune is used
to implement this unsupported test, the reason we got PASSes as well as
UNSUPPORTED is error recovery: the special #error we were using to mark
unsupported tests would get ignored, and the compiler would resume;
however, this is a problem in some tests, because it's not always
possible to get good results when that #error is emitted; and indeed,
running with -Wfatal-errors produces a plethora of FAILs.

On Friday, 23 September 2022 12:02:56 CEST Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> But it seems to
> me that ideally the individual checks would get "retroactively
> skipped" if tool-dg-prune returns one of ::untested::, ::unresolved::,
> or ::unsupported::. Maybe that's not easy to do though.
The easiest way to achieve this is AFAICT to allow ${tool}-dg-test to
return a sentinel value that would prevent processing of any further
FAILs/PASSes by returning from the testcase immediately after the
${tool}-dg-test call (maybe a llength == 1 list whose first element is
one of ::{unsupported,untested,unresolved}::$msg).

Thanks,
--
Arsen Arsenović