Re: testsuite under wine

From: Pedro Alves
Subject: Re: testsuite under wine
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 15:21:35 +0000

On 2022-12-23 3:51 a.m., Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
> it will not work when someone decides they want to test MinGW GDB using Wine.

This has been on my wish list for years.  Unfortunately, I can't even get plain
cross-compiled MinGW GDB
working properly on a Linux/Bash terminal, as I can't get it (I guess readline)
to recognize/accept lines
of input.

E.g., on Ubuntu 22.04, with system Wine ('wine-6.0.3 (Ubuntu 6.0.3~repack-1)') :

$
$ wine ./gdb.exe
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-w64-mingw32".
(gdb) foobar<ret>
                       << a new line is printed
                       << more <ret>
                       << C-j is the same
^CQuit                 << ctrl-c works
(gdb)

^Z
[2]+  Stopped                 wine ./gdb.exe
$ killall gdb.exe

( I've tried this occasionally in the past decade, always with the same result.
)

If someone knows a workaround for this, I'd be curious to learn about it.  :-)

Last time I tried, GDBserver worked OK under Wine, and I could connect ("(gdb)
target remote ...") a
linux-hosted GDB built with cross Windows debugging support to that GDBserver
and debug fine.  So
the Windows debug API seemed to work well enough under Wine, which seemed quite
promising.  It's just
the native Windows GDB (and the Windows readline port, I guess) that doesn't
seem to accept/recognize
newlines for some reason.  I figure that once we're past that hurdle, testing
MinGW GDB under Wine under
linux-hosted DejaGnu would become possible...

Pedro Alves