Re: testsuite under wine

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: testsuite under wine
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 02:12:42 -0500

On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 10:33 PM Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@gmail.com> wrote:

> NightStrike wrote:

> >> I doubt that Wine is doing that translation.  MinGW libc produces output
> >> conformant to Windows conventions, so printf("\n") on a text handle
> >> emits "\r\n", which Wine passes along.  POSIX convention is that "\n" is
> >> translated to "\r\n" in the kernel terminal driver upon output, so the
> >> kernel translates the "\n" in the "\r\n" into /another/ "\r\n", yielding
> >> "\r\r\n" at the pty master end.  This is why DejaGnu testsuites must be
> >> prepared to discard excess carriage returns.  The first CR came from
> >> MinGW libc; the second CR came from the kernel terminal driver; the LF
> >> was ultimately passed through.
> >>

> > Jacek and I have been digging into this on IRC, and he's been very
> > helpful in trying to get further, but we're still stuck.  We tried to
> > be more introspective, inserting strace both as "strace script wine"
> > and as "script strace wine".  We tried running just "wine a.exe"
> > without any extra glue, and logging the raw SSH packets from putty.
> > After many iterations on these and other tests, Jacek finally had the
> > idea to try removing Windows entirely from the equation, and we ran
> > with a purely unix program / compiler combination:
> >
> > #include <unistd.h>
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> >         write(1, "test\r\n", 6);
> >         return 0;
> > }
> >
> > (and also as "test\n", 5)
> >
> > In both versions, the following was observed:
> >
> > case 1) ./a.out | xxd
> > case 2) script -c ./a.out out; xxd out
> > case 3) enable putting logging, ./a.out
> >
> > In case 1, xxd showed no extra \r's.  In cases 2 and 3, there was an
> > extra \r (either 0d 0d 0a for test\r\n, or 0d 0a for test\n).
> >
> > So, is it possible after all of this back and forth regarding mingw,
> > wine, and others, that it's down to the write() system call that's
> > inserting extra \r's?  Is this expected?
> >

> "This is why DejaGnu testsuites must be prepared to discard excess
> carriage returns."
>
> The write(2) system call inserts nothing and simply hands off the buffer
> to the relevant part of the kernel I/O subsystem.  (The kernel in POSIX
> is *not* a monolithic black box.)  When stdout for your test program is
> a pty slave, that relevant part is the kernel terminal driver.  The
> kernel terminal driver is converting "\n" to "\r\n" upon output to the
> associated port, since hardware terminals typically *do* require CRLF.
> The associated port in this case is virtual and part of the kernel pty
> subsystem, which presents octets written to that port to its associated
> pty master device.  The user-visible pty slave device acts just like a
> serial terminal, including all translations normally done for handling
> serial terminals.
>
> A pty is conceptually a null-modem cable connected between two
> infinitely-fast serial ports on the same machine, although the slave
> [...]

First, I just want to thank you for your patience.  You are putting a
lot of effort into these replies, and it is appreciated.

I did another little test to try to better understand your point.  I
ran a linux native testsuite under a simulator that just sets SIM to "
".  This resulted in extra ^M's also, although many tests pass because
they're already looking for \r\n to accommodate windows.  So I think
I've come around to grasp what you've been heroically re-explaining...

So if we have to modify every test in the entire testsuite to check
for zero or more \r's followed by zero or more \n's, would it be
better to add a dg-output-line proc that does this automatically
everywhere?  I feel like changing every output pattern test won't be
too maintainable.  You had mentioned previously modifying ${tool}_load
to filter out extra \r's, but I couldn't see where or how to do that.

For completeness, setting a random selection of tests to look for
\r*\n? worked (this would cover even deprecated systems that only use
CR as well as flagging the weird rust case of \r\r\n\n as bad).