denemo-devel

[bug #61739] Outdated libffi dependency prevents AppImage launch under U

From: anonymous
Subject: [bug #61739] Outdated libffi dependency prevents AppImage launch under Ubuntu 20.04
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 09:41:13 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Running Ubuntu 20.04, I grabbed a copy of the AppImage, made it executable,
and was met with the error:

./bin/denemo: error while loading shared libraries: libffi.so.6: cannot open

It looks like the system libffi version (for Ubuntu 20.04 and presumably
later) is 7, and the AppImage depends on the system having version 6
installed.  Perhaps this dependency can/should be part of the AppImage itself?
 Not sure, as it looks like this might actually be part of a larger issue with
Ubuntu 20.04 shipping a broken installation of Python:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61875869/ubuntu-20-04-upgrade-python-missing-libffi-so-6

Regardless, I was able to get the AppImage to launch after manually
downloading and installing an outdated libffi6 package, but wanted to report
the problem anyway, in case it would be an easy fix for the package
maintainer(s).  :)

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?61739>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/