Re: [directory-discuss] Debian/Ubuntu Database import

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Debian/Ubuntu Database import
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:42:17 -0700

Hi Andrew, welcome to Michael, and ...

    get updated project version info from some distro's
    repository data and onto directory entry pages.

I really really really don't think that should be done for official GNU
packages!!  (Such as GIMP.)  Distro releases of GNU package XYZ are, in
general, not the same as the original GNU release of XYZ.

FWIW, I have accumulated a file of information about each and every GNU
package (and scripts to parse it) which I have always intended to
autoupdate into the Directory.  I don't think there is any stopper at
this point (there used to be many), but it has not come to fruition.  It
is the file gnumaint/gnupackages.txt in
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/womb if anyone cares to look.

    planned database import from either Debian or Ubuntu.

As a separate issue, neither Ubuntu nor Debian are free distros that the
FSF can list (http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html), so it seems
a bit strange to be using them as the basis for a directory import,
instead of (say) gNewSense or trisquel.

Best,