[directory-discuss] Please, add FreeDOS to the list of supported operati

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: [directory-discuss] Please, add FreeDOS to the list of supported operating systems
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 01:48:21 -0300

Hello FSD helpers!

Could you please add FreeDOS[0], the free implementation of the Disk
Operating System, to the FSD's list of supported systems?

There are free software DOS programs, like my recently released Terminal
Matrix 8086[1], that are useful to run on GNU and other non-DOS
systems.  I think in that case DOSBox can be regarded as a runtime
dependency, and the free program can be considered multi-platform since
it would run on every platform DOSBox itself supports --- and from the
user's perspective that isn't different from running a program on a
Java, Python or Perl virtual machine.

Please, notice that this viewpoint doesn't extend to general hardware
emulators that require an operating system installed in them in order to
run the program at hand.  This would apply, however, to the pair QEMU
and Terminal Matrix 8086, for example, because Terminal Matrix 8086
doesn't require an operating system to run.

Hopefully, this way we'll expand the visibility of free software
and the usefulness of the Free Software Directory.

Thank you for your valuable work on the FSD!

Footnotes:

[0] http://www.freedos.org/
[1] http://oitofelix.github.io/terminal-matrix-8086/

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;

[GNU DISCLAIMER] I'm a GNU hacker, but my views don't necessarily
match those of the GNU project.  Hereby I express my own opinion,
style and perception, in good faith, aiming the betterment of GNU.