Re: [directory-discuss] DBpedia - open data sets and the FSD

From: Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] DBpedia - open data sets and the FSD
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:39:16 -0500

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <address@hidden> wrote:
The DBpedia project aims to interconnect the world's open data sets. I made a new page in the FSD (which needs to be approved) to suggest a strategy for making the FSD interoperable with WikiPedia and by extension, the DBpedia.

See https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Org:DBpedia&oldid=41365

(I created the page in the 'Org' namespace to separate it from the Directory proper.)

I want to repeat that I think the namespace thing is an implementation problem for the FSD.

There should be a lot more on-wiki documentation about how the directory is made.  It should be easy for people to create and edit content without "approval" for User pages, and Meta namespace pages. (You already need a login.) As it stands today, it's very hard to create content in the wiki.  And it's almost not possible, nor clear, how to separate content that is "About the Directory" from Directory Entries.

The act of creating a 'meta' page (a page about the wiki and not an content page) reveals that it is *very* difficult to do so.  Normally, the so-called project namespace is used for 'meta' content and the main namespace is used for regular wiki content.  In the FSD, the current documentation about the directory is actually contained within the same namespace as the software entries themselves; and that namespace is separate from the Main namespace. [1]

For example, I found this 'Features' page which I cleaned up for formatting [2]

Separately, there are a ton of entries which need to be reviewed/approved. [3]

If you're an admin, there is a script in the extension's directory which can be used to bulk approve:
ApprovedRevs/maintenance/approveAllPages.php