Re: [directory-discuss] Are license files and notices mandatory?

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Are license files and notices mandatory?
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:47:35 +0200

On 2018-07-15 23:04, Richard Stallman wrote:

  > These add-ons don't have a license copy in the root directory
  > * Adblock Plus - https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/6765
  > * NoScript - I recommended the author to add it

  > ¤¤¤
  > 1: Is it enough to add "|License note=" to them?

I don't know enough about this situation to reach a conclusion.
You've given me a scattering of facts in a field of unknowns.

You have showed me an example of some sort of data structure.
What data structure is that?  Who uses it?  Where and how?
"Example for Adblock Plus (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus)" as I said in the previous email -- It's the wiki text used for the Adblock Plus entry in the Free Software Directory. The wiki text is generated by using Mozilla's API (I provided the text from the related API issue below in this email).
I see other problems in what you did say.

  > |License=GPLv3

That is unclear.

I agree with you.

How is that package licened?
gpl3.0-only, or gpl3.0-or-later?

* https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/: "Source code released under GNU General Public License, version 3.0 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html)"
* https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/: "License
GNU General Public License, version 3.0 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html)"

I filed a ticket two weeks ago to solve the issue, Mozilla hasn't closed so they will hopefully fix it:

API: Please adopt SPDX - https://github.com/mozilla/addons-server/issues/8706

Describe the problem and steps to reproduce it:

Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) is a file format used to document information on the software licenses under which a given piece of computer software is distributed.

SPDX is not used by the API yet.

What happened?

Downloaded a license data sample file to check the license format:

https://addons.mozilla.org/api/v3/addons/addon/adblock-plus/versions/2415390/

en-US: "GNU General Public License, version 3.0"

What did you expect to happen?

https://spdx.org/licenses/GPL-3.0.html

GNU General Public License v3.0 only

Does Adblock Plus have copy of GPL 3 in it somewhere?

Not in the source code. Only at addons.mozilla.org as described above.

I think I should discuss this with Donald some time.

Yes that's a very good idea.