Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 17:30:06 +0200

On 2018-07-20 16:51, John Sullivan wrote:
> Ian Kelling <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I think these fields are redundant since the job is already done by the
>>> page history that lists names and dates.

>>> Why do we have them at all?
>>>

>>> Can we nuke these fields for the next Debian meta-data sync that will
>>> occur within a few weeks/months?
>> I agree.
>>
>> Last reviewed by isn't necessarily reflected in history, but we have
>> approved revs, which means someone somewhat trusted has reviewed the
>> entire entry and the edits, so I think the it's downside of making the
>> editing process tedious and confusing is greater than whatever value it
>> adds.
> The fields have historical value, so definite no to "nuking" them. Some
> (most?) entries have never been updated in the wiki after being imported
> from the previous incarnation of the Directory, so the info needs to be
> preserved for them.
>
> The thing to consider is whether to remove them from the new entry
> template. But also not convinced there. A "Last review" is not the same
> thing as "Last change". "Last change" could just be updating the version
> number on the program without reviewing any of the other info. "Last
> review" is meant to stand for the last time an entry was actually
> reasonably thoroughly checked for compliance with FSD criteria. Also,
> how easy is it to search in MW based on info like changes to Entries by
> a particular user
all changes by a particular user can be done by looking at that user's
contributions and then applying filters to it as necessary

>  or all the Entries which have not had a change since
> $DATE?
Perhaps via the API with something like.

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=search&srwhat=text&srsearch=GNU&format=json&srsort=last_edit_asc
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=search&srwhat=text&srsearch=GNU&format=json&srsort=last_edit_desc