Re: nmap is non-free software

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: nmap is non-free software
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 20:04:38 +0100

Alfred M. Szmidt 写道:
Even propietery software companies are alloewd be able to run free software for any purpose, the nmap license expliclty prohibits that;

I don't agree that it prohibits them from running nmap, only from running it ‘within’ their programs. I read that as similar (if not their own reading of) GPL's ‘derivative work’. It's unfortunate that they chose such a poor (re)phrasing that invites many different interpretations, and FWIW, I agree that nmap's ‘clarified’ GPL sucks and is far worse than the original.

Kind regards,

T G-R