Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:33:10 +0200

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 23:23:47 -0400
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> What we are doing for GNU/Linux is such a big job that we can't keep
> up. Let's not spread our effort by taking on Replicant as well.
By "spreading our effort", I assume that you mean that existing
contributors would work on adding Android software instead of GNU/Linux.

What may also happen is that new contributors could come specially for
Android and also end up adding / updating software for GNU systems.

It's at least my case, though I only did 1 small contribution (updating
the Guix entry) to get familiar with the system.

> I suggest that the Replican developers set up a directory for programs
> that run on Replicant.
We got someone (Jean Louis) who volunteered to setup an f-droid
repository for Replicant.

So if that ends up being done (Jean Louis and/or other people
interested also need to build and review the f-droid client and other
applications as well) we will not need any external lists anymore.

Our repository would then act as a list of FSDG compliant applications,
and the f-droid official repositories would act as a list of potential
applications.

We'll also probably (have to) find some way to have a list of rejected
applications, in order to prevent people from loosing time reviewing
again and again the sames rejected applications, without knowing that
they were already reviewed, and not included because they failed to
meet some criteria.

Denis.