discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Windows binary anyone?

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Windows binary anyone?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:17:14 -0700

StaticFreeSoftware seems to want to sell binaries, I don't
know how kosher providing them secondhand would be, since
like most I'm disinclined to read the fine print. Does
free sources imply free binaries? I dunno. Steve could
comment.

The rules for distributing Electric (binary or otherwise) are quite clear: you distribute it and you have to make your improvements available as source code (that's a paraphrase of the GPL). This means that anyone can download Electric, compile it for Windows, and give the binary away.

When Static Free Software sells binaries, it is also selling support of them, so that partially explains the fee. The other reason is simple: I'm trying to make a living here. For the price, you not only get a precompiled Windows binary, but it comes with a nice "InstallShield" wrapper.

So, if anyone wants to send this person a free Windows binary, go ahead. If it contains improvements that you suddenly now have to distribute, contact me and I'll take those improvements and distribute them.

     -Steven Rubin