discuss-gnu-electric

Re: busses

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: busses
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 07:48:44 -0800

I am trying to find a happy medium for things such as layout viewing,
small simulations and schematic creation. I have tinkered with
Electric for a couple of years and really like it a great deal. I have
spent several hours over the last day trying to figure out the use of
busses. I can correctly create them and 'rip' signals from them for my
scats. However I cannot seem to figure out how to use them in
simulations. Say for the sake of simplicity I want to create a
schematic of eight invertors all of which receive their input from one
of the eight wide bus's signals. I draw the invertors...good. Now
what? The bus must start somewhere although it can terminate in
space. How do I do this? So far I have tried drawing a buffer and
starting the bus from there but what is the input to the buffer? I
tried making it a bus as well but whan I try to simulate the beast I
get complaints that I am using more signals than the buffer has
ports. Pardon me if this doesn't make sense. I have minimal experience
with bus use and sometimes the questions are hard to form. Perhaps
someone could provide me a simple example that is simulatable so I can
model after that?

What you want to do is this:

(1) Make an schematic inverter.
(2) Create an icon for that inverter
(3) Place that icon into another facet and (this is new in 6.05) give it an arrayed name (set its node name to somthing like "m[0:7]"). (4) Now connect 8-wide busses to the icon and simulate. You don't have to rip the busses, just give them names that are 8-long. Note that another new feature in 6.05 is multidimensional busses, so you could call this bus (or even the arrayed instance) "xx[0:1][3:0]", or even "frank[a,b][c,d][0:1]".

Note that, because this is a new concept in Electric, arrayed nodes are not understood by all simulation netlisters. It will work only in SPICE, Verilog, and IRSIM.

    -Steven Rubin