discuss-gnu-electric

Re: New Version ?

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: New Version ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 09:29:56 -0700

Now is there a list where we can hear more news about the open source
version of Gnu Electric ?

Sadly, no. I am part of a team of 4 or 5 developers who have been working since September to recode Electric in Java. In the interest of getting something out, we cannot translate everything, so our release (due in just a month) will limit itself to essential functions. But what are "essential functions"? The development team is part of a larger group at Sun Microsystems that is using Electric to design chips. So our definition of "essential" is whatever the group needs to design ICs. After the release, we will surely hear from everyone else who will tell us what other functions they consider "essential", and these will likely get added.

The recoding has also offered us the opportunity to rethink issues that have been plauging Electric for decades. The new version addresses issues such as the term "Facet" (which will henceforth be known by its more standard name: "Cell"); the notion of lambda scaling (which will not permeate the database as before); the notion of center-vs-corner based placement; and much more.

We have tried to maintain backwards compatibility of "elib" data files between Java Electric and C Electric. However, as an intermediate step in the transition, we recommend that those who still need the functionality of the C version upgrade from the current C version (6.08) to a newer "transitional" C version (7.00). Version 7.00 will be better able to preserve the information in the Java release (6.08 will still be able to read the Java version datafiles, but some information may get mangled). The first Java release will be version 8.00.

-Steven Rubin