discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Build contact nodes

From: Ming Deng
Subject: Re: Build contact nodes
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:06:15 -0500

Steven Rubin wrote:

At 03:35 PM 3/12/2005, you wrote:

Steven Rubin wrote:

At 03:47 PM 3/11/2005, you wrote:

I'm trying to build a new technology in Electric 7.00. For contact nodes, I specify metal layers and via layer as boxes for main example and other examples. Do the size of those boxes, or ratio of sizes between those boxes has effects on such nodes used in actual layout? If the size matters, do I have to keep the size/ratio for all examples in addition to the main example?

The technology editor expects to see four examples of a contact node.
The smallest of the four becomes the default size contact. The larger ones help define rules for stretching in X, Y, and both X&Y. Since the cells that define such nodes are done in the Artwork technology, the size will match the final node, but adjusted for the difference in technologies. Thus, if the contact is 4x4 lambda (in Artwork grid units) then the layout will be 4x4 lambda (in grid units of the target technology).

   -Steven Rubin

What do you mean by "the size will match the final node, but adjusted for the difference in technologies"?

The main example of a contact usually has four embedded squares: the highlight, the upper layer, the via layer, the lower layer and the port. If I have the size of all layer squares set right, will the final arcs have the correct data so we can stream them out for tape out? If yes, should I also have all size right for other examples of a contact node?

I gave an example...let me go into even further detail. The Artwork technology usually has a lambda of 2000, which (in half nanometers) means that each grid square is 1 micron. You might be designing a technology with a lambda value of 200 (0.1 microns). When you draw a contact in the technology editor, you are placing and sizing Artwork primitives. If you make the highlight, upper, and lower layers all be 4x4 lambda (4x4 microns), then Electric will scale this down to the desired size of your technology. Thus, the technology will have a contact that is nominally 0.4 x 0.4 microns in size.

The same applies to the arc that you draw in the technology editor: it's size will be scaled appropriately.

The other 3 examples of contact nodes need only be larger than the main example...the amount does not matter. Generally, the larger sizes are set to illustrate the multi-cut spacings.

Thanks for your answer. One more question, :)

In the main example of a contact node, there are quite a bit geometrical data information, i.e. the X/Y size data of each box. Which of them really matter? My guess is only size of the box of layer via (or poly cut for metal1 and poly contact), but I think it' better to get confirmed from you.

cheers,

Ming

If we setup a set of design rules for a technology, will the Maze Route or River Route respect those rules when they are looking for the route path?

I do not know how these routers work. I believe that they examine the design rules, so they should work right.

-Steve