discuss-gnu-electric

Problem editing mocmos technology

From: Graham Petley
Subject: Problem editing mocmos technology
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 13:22:16 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
   I last used Electric in 2003. I've downloaded the latest version 8.08 and
tried to create my own technology by editing the mocmos one.
   I found that the sequence "Convert Technology to
Library for Editing..." followed immediately by "Convert Library to
Technology..." fails, even without any edits being made.

--------------- 1 --------------
  Fri Dec 26 20:09:45 GMT 2008
Menu Activated: Edit | Technology Editing | Convert Technology to Library for
Editing...
--------------- 2 --------------
  Fri Dec 26 20:09:54 GMT 2008
Menu Activated: Edit | Technology Editing | Convert Library to Technology...

Cannot determine X stretching rule for layer Metal-1 in cell
'node-P-Transistor-Scalable{lay}'
Failed to convert the library to a technology

   The problem is that Electric wants the left poly edge to always be the same
distance from the well, and ditto for the left active contact edge. But since
the smallest transistor is narrower than the active contact, this can't be the
case and the library conversion chokes.
   The error above has the poly distances the same, so the active is not. If
the drawings are changed to keep the active evenly spaced, there is an error
about highlighted geometry (the poly) needing to be equally spaced from the
cell edge.

   These errors stop the new technology file from being written.

   I downloaded version 8.07, but was unable to open the two libs I was trying.
These are the dff_cells and muddLib07 libs from the web site. The error is
shown below.

  Fri Dec 26 20:25:17 GMT 2008
java.lang.AssertionError
        at com.sun.electric.tool.user.User.getAlignmentToGrid(User.java:1449)
        at
com.sun.electric.tool.user.ui.EditWindow.gridAlign(EditWindow.java:3674)
        at
com.sun.electric.tool.user.ui.EditWindow.showCoordinates(EditWindow.java:461)
        at
com.sun.electric.tool.user.ui.EditWindow.mouseMoved(EditWindow.java:444)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Component.java:5599)
        at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(JComponent.java:3144)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4021)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2068)
        at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4256)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3949)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3866)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2054)
        at
com.sun.electric.tool.user.UserInterfaceMain$EventProcessor.dispatchEvent(UserInterfaceMain.java:841)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

   Is there an easy solution to this problem? As I remember, back in 2003 I
failed to make my own technology and had to go elsewhere. The program is
looking really good now and I'd like to try it out some more.

Best regards, Graham Petley