[Discuss-gnuradio] FAQ 0.2

From: Benjamin J. Tarval
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] FAQ 0.2
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 18:06:21 -0700

Ok - here's the second revision of the FAQ. I've fleshed out the sections
that I signed up for. As noted below, much of this was taken from
(and certainly inspired by) the Linux FAQ.

Please add any comments or corrections that you'd like to see here.

A couple of points: do we want to include the FAQ in the source code
tree, as well as the website? I would think so, but I think Eric would
have to make these changes, as I'm not listed as a developer.

Also, it would be nice to have a gzip/bzip2 tarball of the source.
I'd be happy to do this, but see above.

Finally, a copy of the FAQ will be kept at supercomputer.org (as noted
below), once all comments are received.

Thanks for any comments here.

        -ben-

        GNU Radio FAQ - Draft 0.2 7/14/2001

GNU Radio Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Benjamin J. Tarval (address@hidden)

Revision History

0.2             2001-07-26              Revised by tarval

This is the list of Frequently Asked Questions for the GNU Radio project.

1. Introduction and General Information.
        1.1 What is GNU radio?
        1.2 What is Software Defined Radio?
        1.3 What are the goals of gnuradio?
        1.4 How to get started.
        1.5 What software is needed?
        1.6 What hardware is needed?
        1.7 Are there cheaper alternatives?

2. Topics of current interest.

3. Network Sources and Resources

3.1. Where is the Latest Version on the Internet?

        The GNU radio project is hosted at savannah.gnu.org, which is the Free
        Software Foundation's SourceForge site. The specific URL is:
                http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuradio

        A copy of the latest source code is there, along with a copy of
        this FAQ.

        The source code is only available at present via CVS. A tarball of the
        package will be made available at some point in the future.

        The latest FAQ can also be found at:
                http://www.supercomputer.org/gnuradio/FAQ.html

3.2. Where is the Documentation?

        Currently, there is no HOWTO document.

        The documentation is distributed as a part of the source code
        package. Since this project is fairly new, the documentation
        consists mostly of some README files, and the actual source code.

        For an entertaining and solid overview of how radio works, see
        "The Science of Radio" by Paul J. Nahin (Springer Verlag;
        ISBN: 1563963477; 1996).

3.3. Where are the GNU Radio resources on the Internet?

        The GNU web page for this project can be found at:
                http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

        The SpectrumWare web page can be found at:
                http://www.sds.lcs.mit.edu/SpectrumWare/

        Another excellent site for information about Software Defined Radio in
        general (but not directly related to the GNU radio project) is at:
                http://ham.te.hik.se/~sm5bsz/index.htm

3.4. What Mailing lists are there?

        If you have subscribed, you can send email to the list via:
                address@hidden

        In order to subscribe to the list, send email to:
                address@hidden

        Bugs are reported via sending email to:
                 address@hidden

        Help can be obtained by sending email to:
                address@hidden

3.5. Is the mailing list archived anywhere?

        A mailman web-based interface to the archives is available at:

4. Acknowledgements and Administrivia

4.1 Where to send comments.

        Please direct comments to the maintainer of this FAQ at:
                address@hidden

        Contributions to the FAQ may be in any format. Comments and
        corrections are gratefully received.

        If you wish to refer to a question in the FAQ, it's better to do so
        by the question heading instead of number. The question numbers are
        generated automagically, and can change from one revision to the next.

4.2 Formats in which this FAQ is available

        This document is currently available only as an ASCII text file.

4.3 Authorship and Acknowledgements

        This FAQ is compiled and maintained by Benjamin Tarval
        (address@hidden). Steve Schear contributed the answers
        to sections 1 & 2.

        Special thanks are due to Eric Blossom <address@hidden>, for
        starting the GNU radio project, and contributing greatly to
        the knowledge of all the participants.

        The format for this FAQ was largely taken from the Linux FAQ
        (http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ), and the work of its
        maintainer, Robert Kiesling, is acknowledged with gratitude.

4.4. Disclaimer and Copyright.

        The GNU radio project Frequently Asked Questions may be reproduced
        and distributed in its entirety (including this authorship, copyright,
        and permission notice), provided that no charge is made for the
        document itself, without the author's consent. This includes
        ``fair use'' excerpts like reviews and advertising, and derivative
        works like translations.

        Note that this restriction is not intended to prohibit charging for the
        service of printing or copying the document.

        These conditions are in addition to the regular LDP distribution
        license, at http://www.linuxdoc.org/manifesto.html.

        Exceptions to these rules may be granted. I would be happy to answer
        any questions regarding this copyright. E-mail me at
        address@hidden  As the license, referred to above, says,
        these restrictions are here to protect the contributors, not to
        restrict you as educators and learners.