Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links

From: Benjamin J. Tarval
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:58:35 -0700

> From address@hidden  Tue Sep  4 08:10:01 2001
> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SDR article: Missing no links
>
> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 15:57:33 -0700, Benjamin J. Tarval wrote:
>
> >Also, one should note that with Microsoft dropping Java, there will an extra
> >issue to deal with for Java-based products. Hardly insurmountable, just
> >not as clean and well-defined as it used to be for Windows systems.
>
> Microsoft dropping Java, but there changes nothing for the Java user.
> MS didn't change it's Java for long time. It will also be available for
> longer time. And there is alway the Sun JDK/JRE.

I'd say it *almost* changes nothing for the user. The developer now has to
make certain that the JVM is installed, and is the right version. I'd expect
a small, but non-zero, rise in support costs.

The point being is that the situation is now similar to C/C++ programs,
where one needs to make sure that the right libraries and versions are
installed before the program is run.

Technically this isn't hard to do; but historically (with libraries) problems
do arise for a small fraction of the user base - especially over time.

> The only difference I see is the new .NET platform, which could be an
> alternative to Java.

Indeed; but isn't it only an alternative to Java for Microsoft platforms?
As opposed to cross-platform portability.

My impression is that Microsoft is starting to aggressively attempt to
keep certain non-Microsoft technology (like GPL'd software) off their
platforms, and attempting to limit non-Microsoft systems from interacting
with theirs.

        -ben-