Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Richard Hosking's quadrature DDS board

From: Robert Kelley
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Richard Hosking's quadrature DDS board
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:20:41 -0800 (PST)

A quadrature DDS can be used to implement an image-rejecting mixer,
specifically a downconverter.  Multiplying a real signal from the
antenna by a complex local oscillator yields a complex result which
can conveniently be applied to two soundcard inputs.

DDS's in general can create reference signals at arbitrary frequencies,
but near the sample rate the use of those signals may be problematic,
especially as the first local oscillator of a receiver.