Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how they can effectively outlaw the GNU Radio

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how they can effectively outlaw the GNU Radio
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:43:01 -0800

At 10:38 PM 2/28/2002 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 05:03:34PM -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
> As long as the GNU Radio has no demodulators, which are a key element of
> any receiver of scanner, these statutes should not apply.

Excuse me, but part of this whole exercise is to provide an
educational forum where people can *learn* how to build demodulators,
modulators, forward error correction, protocol stacks and the rest of
the whole nine yards that goes into building modern communication
systems.

Agreed.

How else are we going to develop new skills for ourselves and others
if we don't share what we know, give examples to work with, build real
applications, etc.  It's how we've been teaching software and
engineering from the beginning of time.  Books and theory are only one
part of a complete education; actually getting your hands dirty is an
essential part.

All I'm saying is that if the GNU Radio project were to be formally segmented by function: for example one group to develop the interface APIs, platform, A-D/D-A controls and UI for signal processing and another to develop the demodulators as plug-ins it could provide legal cover. Perhaps Larry Lessig might chime in here.

steve