Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "A scanner with a digital output" address@hidden

From: 'address@hidden'
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "A scanner with a digital output" address@hidden pwright.com: @stake wows the wireless rubes...]
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:24:21 -0500

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:34:24AM -0800, Ettus, Matt wrote:

> Perhaps I was a bit harsh.  But again, you intermingle speculation and
> observation to form accusations without evidence.

        I guess it is my writing style and perspective that gets in the
way - and I certainly would be the first to apologize to anyone who has
taken offense because I seem to be making groundless accusations.

        I am most impressed by what I hear about RIM and Blackberry and
very pleased to hear that they seem to have done things right and
implemented real security in their corporate version.  And I stand by my
opinion that it was really rather sad that they also could not have
implemented enough if not really tight security on the BBIE product to
make it hard to nearly impossible for parties equiped with nothing but
radio gear and curiousity to dragnet surf the BBIE traffic looking for
interesting and criminally useful information.

        I certainly have not s shred of evidence that they have sold out
to LEAs (Law enforement agencies) or been in any way approached by them.
My speculation is just that, speculation and not meant as any kind of
accusation.

        And perhaps my cynically paraniod speculation was offensive and
inappropriate, though my view is that such is rather normal in the
informal world of mailing lists and newsgroups inhabited by rather
shadowy  semi-anonymous figures who express an interest in security
matters on public lists.   Certainly some pretty unpleasant things have
apparently happened in the past in other situations.

        But none of this has to do with gnuradio...

--
        Dave Emery N1PRE,  address@hidden  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18