FW: [Discuss-gnuradio] Slashdot Q & A / Beginning of our FAQ

From: Matthew Burnham
Subject: FW: [Discuss-gnuradio] Slashdot Q & A / Beginning of our FAQ
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:25:01 +0100

Naively, I've just had a look to see what RS Components do in the way of
ADCs... and found that there's quite a few available with sample rates
in the region of 10MSPS for around UKP20 to UKP30 and some with 20MSPS+
for a little more (around UKP40) for single units. Would it not be
possible to come up with a cheap alternative to the Measurement
Computing board? I assume the minimum spec necessary with an I/F of
5.75MHz is 11.5MSPS?

Just a thought, which I'll look into further, but wondered if anyone had
considered this? I know it could get 'interesting' designing such
high-speed digital circuits... but I've got a Wavefinder Digital Radio
in front of me which squirts a considerable amount of data down the USB
port so it can't be THAT difficult. Has anyone else considered this
previously?

Perhaps as a starting point some lower-speed stuff could be done, if we
got a lower I/F than the cable TV tuner, with lower bandwidth, we'd need
a correspondingly lower ADC (maybe even something reasonably cheap
off-the-shelf?) which would allow those not able/willing to get the
Measurement Computing board to get into wide-band-ish stuff (for
examaple, be able to play two FM stations, provided they were much
closer to each other).