Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AD Convertors and regulation

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] AD Convertors and regulation
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:43:10 -0800

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:28:58PM -0600, Lawrence Stoskopf wrote:
> Probably old news, but while browsing about AD convertors found the
> following:
>
> I was looking for info on the Audigy2 to see if it would make a cheaper
> 24 bit AD.  Unfortunately they are using an 18 bit AD for analog input
> and a more expensive, more capable 24 bit DA.  So more than adequate for
> output, weak on input as they expect most data streams to come from
> commercial sources.

Hmmm, the specs claim 24-bit input at 96 kHz.  That would be nice.
Even if it's only 16 or 18 bits, the corresponding dynamic range would
most likely still be fine for radio applications.  Note however, that
the biggest problem with the AC97 codecs is their relatively low
sample rates.  For example, to receive broadcast FM (200kHz bandwidth),
you need something like 400k or 500k samples/sec.  The audigy2 should
be OK for narrow band FM, say 12.5 or 25 kHz signals, but wouldn't cut
it for broadcast FM.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/specs.asp

Eric