Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why quadrature samples?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] why quadrature samples?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:40:53 -0800

sam penny wrote:

I understood the concept before that, but it would've
taken a lot less in terms of brain ache if I'd had
that explanation to start from! :)

Likewise. For some people, complex analysis is "intuitively obvious", for others, like me, it requires repetitive, cranio-mechanical insertion (i.e., I need to get it beaten into my head) until it fits.

An interesting variation on this is the "Tayloe
Detector."

[snip]
I heard this was actually scarecely different from an
idea that's been around for a number of decades, but
who knows...

Probably. It's a variant of a commutating filter. Novel enough to get patent #6,280,000, but the USPTO standard of novelty has been suspect for quite some time now. In any case, as I mentioned, it wins points for the sheer hack value of using a bus multiplexer as an RF mixer.

I've been thinking of maybe making a TV decoder that
uses something along these lines, but I'm not sure how
to get a switcher that will handle the ~500-900MHz
input or the switching rate (there are 8-bit, two
chanel 100M samples per second ADCs out there, it'd be
nice to be able to grab several chanels' worth at once
using such a device...) the best I've seen has a
switching rate of around 1000ns per transition
(guaranteed, more like 6ns typical), which presumably
wouldn't be enough in the worst case scenario...
(surely it has to be significantly lower than the
sampling rate you want...?)

A digital version of this simply becomes an a 4X ADC, where X is the bandpass width of the signal. The ADC samples then become I, Q, -I, -Q, and an FPGA or DSP can do the substracts on alternating samples to get an I, Q stream at a 2X sample rate each. The caveat on this is that the ADC must have an *input* bandwidth that will cover the actual frequency of the signal, not just the bandpass width.

And, you need at least one down conversion to a constant IF, or you'll be limited to receiving at the max input bandwidth of your ADC, even if you're only sampling at 20 Khz to recover a narrowband FM signal.

Google on "bandpass sampling." (When will 'Google' be listed in the dictionary as a verb?)

So, a 10.7 Mhz IF with a 100 Khz +- channel on it (and everything else filtered to some low level) would only need an 800 Khz sample clock, but the ADC sample-hold buffer must be able to deal with an input at 10.7 Mhz. Well within the limits of todays ADCs on the market.

You get out of the FPGA or DSP a sample stream of I, Q at a clock rate of 400 Khz. Once you get the I's and Q's, all the funny math can be used to get back whatever started out. This sample sequence at 400 Khz x (say) 16 bits = 6.4 Mbps, which you could stream to a PC over USB.

(In case you're wondering, I'm in the design stage on this IF -> IQ over USB functional block for a homebrew ham project.)

What needs designing is a generic RF -> IF downconverter that covers DC to 3 Ghz, and has programmable bandpass filtering to restrict the channel bandwidth to whatever you need before inputting to the functional block above.

incidentally, are there any ways to make use of more
than two ADCs in super-imaginary numbers or something?
(I think I worked out that super-imaginary numbers
disolve into imaginary numbers if you look at them
hard enough, which would probably mean the answer is
no, but hey :)

My *brain* would dissolve, not the super-imaginary numbers, if I thought about them too hard.

-Johnathan, AE6HO