[Discuss-gnuradio] Building a Scanner

From: Ryan Pape
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building a Scanner
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:36:18 -0600

My primary interest in GNU radio is using it to build a better scanner.  The
ability to potentially scan and/or monitor multiple frequencies
simultatenously is attractive as is the ability to potentially decode
digital or trunked channels on the computer.

I'm trying to get a sense of what is possible, what is feasible, and what
needs to be worked on to make this a reality.  I'm a developer but only have
limited EE experience (had a few classes a while back) and know very little
about the RF side.

So that leads to several questions

wrt to GNU radio, what will be the limiting factor in what I want to
accomplish (outside of what I don't know):  the RF front end, bandwidth into
the computer, software, or processor/memory limitations?

What recommendations do you have regarding learning what would be helpful
from the RF side (I have limited experience with FFT, Freq/Time domain
stuff)?

Any other hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ryan Pape
address@hidden