RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] IF ADC, and the radio itself

From: Brian_Whitaker
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] IF ADC, and the radio itself
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:55:32 -0800

Dave and everyone,

We're worked pretty hard over here at Maxim, but I agree that it would make
an excellent show to have put together a slew of receiver front-ends for the
various SDR applications this team is working on. Its only been a day since
I asked about who here is working on the RF stuff, and I've heard from one
fellow here (Jamie Morken), but no one else. I can't make a career out of
working on this, and don't want to step on the toes of people who might be,
but I certainly want to get my hands dirty! Putting Maxim's name on at least
one of the radio designs will allow me to justify the use of my RF lab here
to support my efforts. Most of my experience is with cellular standards, so
I'd like to start there.

Dave's right in that we need to start planning what receivers to start
designing first, and make them as broad-ranging in application as possible.
So, I've got a few questions for the leaders of this pack:

(1) What SDR implementations are going to be ready first?
  It sounds like HDTV is on the way soon... but what cellular standards will
be available first?  AMPS seems like an obvious choice, because its just a
simple FM modulation, low BW, etc.

(2) Have people here already come up with some standard receiver
archiecture?  By this I mean, "everything will be direct-sampled at a 70MHz
IF" or the like. In particular, would I have the opportunity to use a
direct-conversion receiver (RF directly down to baseband)?

(3) Dave mentioned requiring a bandpass IF filter to knock down the images
in my proposed undersampling scheme... that's what the IF channel-selection
filter is all about. If we decide that we want to provide for a 50MHz
channel centered at 200MHz, then we set up the channel selection filter to
be just this (fc=200MHz, BW=50MHz), and sample the resulting If at no less
than 100MHz. Now if the channel was only 30kHz wide (AMPS, TDMA), then
nothing has to change, because the ADCs images are still outside the IF
filter BW. Does this sound reasonable?

Of key concern here is to model our architecture after widely-used
commercially available stuff. For analog TV, I think that's a 6MHz channel
on a 70MHz IF... and have a good enough ADC to under-sample this, say at
20MHz or so (2x6MHz plus lots of margin), so we can use  this for as many
different systems as possible -- anything that we can bring down from RF and
stuff in this 6MHz filter.  ...then we have another, more expensive radio,
that has a higher IF with channel select filters and ADCs set up for a much
wider channel -- whatever HDTV is, probably, and re-use that for 802.11b
(22MHz), 802.11a/g (110MHz or so), etc.

I know it seems like this RF stuff should be simple, but since the goal here
is to have a radio that is defined by what demod routine you run, we should
have as few different radio front-ends as possible.  It seems silly to have
to have a different USB/firewire box for every system you want to listen to.

Brian Whitaker
Maxim RF Applications