RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: synchronizing sound cards in a cluster

From: Joseph DiVerdi
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: synchronizing sound cards in a cluster
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:10:22 -0700

At 1:03 PM -0800 3/13/03, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>This isn't really the hard part. The hard part is getting multiple sound
>cards to share the same sample clock. IF the same clocks all ran at the
>same rate, then you could fairly easily use known inputs to synchronize
>up the results, but the sample clocks aren't nearly close enough
>together for that. In fact, the sample clocks in most sound cards are
>*terrible*.
>
>Even synchronizing multiple sound cards inside the same PC is a
>difficult problem for this reason.
>
>So, for starters, go get some sound cards that have an external clock
>input for the sampling. (If you can find such a thing)
>
>Matthew

I believe Matthew is exactly correct regarding the crux of the problem and if
someone were to discover a sound card with an external clock would appreciate
learning about it.

In this situation it may be necessary to migrate to an analog input ADC card
which very often has an external clock or trigger input.

Best regards,
Joseph
--
Joseph A. DiVerdi, Ph.D., M.B.A.