[Discuss-gnuradio] Why not F/V and V/F Convertors ?!

From: Saeed Beyty
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why not F/V and V/F Convertors ?!
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 04:33:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Here is a question, arised during our work on SDR
involving the front-end capabilities.

Why we dont use Frequency to voltage (F/V) or Voltage
to Frequency (V/f) converter devices/chips in the
front-end section?
As you might know F/V is a chip, converting the input
frequency to vlotage, propotional to input frequency
drift from a center frequency.
by this method there is no need to those expensive,
high speed A/D converters to sampple the high
frequency signals, nor the high speed CPUs to perform
the time-comsuming FFT task.

As a SDR wish, its desired to be able to do all
communication tasks within a unique hardware, and just
by software replacement, so is there any protocol (i
mean the communication modulation methods) which we
could not be able to perform in our software, if we
use F/V convertor.

Regards
--Saeed