Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "video" transmitter

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] "video" transmitter
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:48:18 -0800 (PST)

How 'bout a radio xmitter with no extra hardware?  When I was in
school they had a low-end IBM mainframe, an IBM 360-something.
A student wrote music software that would pay a tune on an
AM radio that was placed inside one of the electronics bays of
the CPU (Yes the "CPU" was a few racks of equipment back then)

his software ran on the bare hardware with no OS loaded and was
the first time any of us had eaver heard audio of any kind comming
out of a computer.  Radio was just the cheapest way to get the sound
out of the computer because it required no hardware.

The IBM 360's of that day were micro coded and the micro code was
loaded at boot time. So with proper micro coding you have fine control
over timming down at the gate level.

--- Stephane Fillod <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> > Runs under Windows (why? Because that maximizes the number of
> preinstalled
> > demo platforms), turns your computer into a radio transmitter.
> Using the
> [snip]
>
> Nice job Matthew, this is always fun to make it by its own means.
> You must be talking about the famous "tempest effect", well known
> by guys moving around in vans owned by three letter agencies...
>
> You can find a Linux version here:
>       http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/
>
> Apt-get junkies can even get it with the 'tempest' package.
>
> Amused with the tempest effect? Try turning your boring parallel port
>
> to a .. well.. outperforming D/A device :)
>
>       http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3239582376.html
>
> Have fun!
>
> Stephane

=====