Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 950-2150Mhz frontend

From: Krzysztof Kamieniecki
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 950-2150Mhz frontend
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:19:57 -0400

No helpful comments just more questions, and praise for your effort to design boards for us RF illiterates.

I'll refer to this spec to keep your websites "bandwidth" usage down.
http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/rf/pdf/102.pdf

The Sharp Module has this spec "Input signal level (dBm) –65 to –25"

What does the lower limit mean in the analog domain?

Here is an example based on my application:

The GPS spec states that the Minimum received signal power (L1 C/A) is -160dBW
: -130dBm
+ a 40dB GPS Active Antenna
: -90dBm

Does this mean that the amplified GPS signal magnitude is 25dB below the maximum output of the tuner module, or 25dB below the noise floor of the module?

Thanks,

cfk wrote:
I have a preliminary schematic and parts placement for a 950-2150Mhz frontend daughterboard on my web site at http://cfk.homelinux.com/gnuradio . If you just enter this link, there is a whole directory of files relating to three front ends. The files with '4702' in them relate to the first frontend for 45-850Mhz of which 6 boards were made. The second group of files have 'fedbs' in their names. These files pertain to the Sharp '1204 module which is a DBS 950-2150Mhz module. The third group are 'really' preliminary and contemplate a Maxim 80211 chip. One the 950-2150Mhz frontend, which 'might' be interesting to GPS is a schematic is in two parts, the first is http://cfk.homelinux.com/gnuradio/fedbs_1.pdf and the second page is http://cfk.homelinux.com/gnuradio/fedbs_2.pdf Perhaps Brian, Krzyztof and others might comment on it so we can get it as useful as possible to the group. Charles