[Discuss-gnuradio] OT: Simple Interferometer Telescope

From: David Brodrick
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] OT: Simple Interferometer Telescope
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:55:48 +1000

Hi All,
Just wanted to give a plug for an ongoing project that's not too far
removed from the interests of the list. I've written to the list about
it before actually, the software still isn't gnuradio based but it's GPL
and it's Linux...

The idea is we get two direct conversion receiver kits and modify them
so that their local oscillators are running phase coherently.

You space the antennas for the two receivers out over some "baseline"
distance.

The audio output of the two receivers are sampled with a stereo sound
card.

By measuring the relative phase of the two signals with a software
correlator you can do radio astronomy and direction-of-arrival type
problems. I'm sure many people on the list know all about this kind of
stuff.

Anyway we've been having lot's of fun with simple 20MHz interferometers.
Steve Heaton and I started documenting different aspects of it on a
website, here:

http://intro.fringes.org/

The software isn't linked at the moment, we're still getting the site
set up. There is some fun hardware and other fun info though.

Sincerely,
  Dave