[Discuss-gnuradio] me v. 0.5mm pitch TSSOP [SSRP]

From: David Carr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] me v. 0.5mm pitch TSSOP [SSRP]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:39:14 -0500

I soldered the LTC1746 ADC onto its board today. It was my first time to solder a SMT IC and after practicing with (melting) other junkbox parts I managed to do a fairly good job I think. A few joints look like they might have a little less solder than I'd like but I'll call it good for now. On a related note, the LTC7146 daughter board is progressing along nicely. The LTC1746 is on a TSSOP adapter board (with groundplane) called a schmartboard. The adapter board is pretty cool with space on the board to add things like bypass caps and its overall layout is pretty intelligent ...especially for $5. [http://www.schmartboard.com/] A homemade pcb will carry the analog input stage, power supply and conversion clock circuitry. The schematic is finalized and the layout is almost finished as well. Unfortunately, I'll be in the Cayman Islands for the next week and a half so I probably won't make a lot of progress in that period. [grin]
For the curious:
I was initially pretty daunted by soldering a .5mm pitch component but it turns out that it can be done with the right tools. I used a Edsyn Loner temperature controlled iron at 600F with a "mini-wave" tip. I highly reccomend this style of tip. The trick to making good joints instead of a single large joint is to use lots of flux and to not fully load the tip with solder. Also make sure you have desoldering braid for the inevitable oopsie. If want there's a video on the Pace website that shows the technique used on a QFP. http://www.paceusa.com/_ApplicationSubList.asp?ApplicationGroupID=11# Its not quite as easy as it looks but with a little practice its very doable.

-David Carr