Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sharp BS2S7HZ1204 tuner

From: Krzysztof Kamieniecki
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sharp BS2S7HZ1204 tuner
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:30:36 -0500

Thanks for the great report Marcus.

This report has the first experimental data that I have seen of a DBS tuner
receiving a GPS signal (page 7).

On page 11
<quote>
I decided to measure the amplitude imbalance between I and Q using a known
signal&#151;the GPS L1 signal. I discovered that the actual amplitude imbalance
is closer to 7dB, which lead to rather suspicious-looking spectra.
Perfectly-symmetric responses of equal amplitude around the zero line,
regardless of which side of the carrier I tuned the tuner to, led me to suspect
a problem with the computed spectra.
<quote/>

Remember I'm not an EE.

Could this be caused by the L1 signal being made up of two components, the C/A
(plus 50Hz data) and the P(Y) (plus 50Hz data) signals, which are broadcast in
quadrature? According to the GPS spec P(Y) has a signal strength of -161.5 dBW
and C/A has a signal strength of -158.5 dBW.