Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Practicality of DC-light RF front-end?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Practicality of DC-light RF front-end?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:42:37 -0800

Marcus D. Leech wrote:

I've been thinking about the practicality of a "DC-light" RF receiver
  front end, for radio astronomy in particular, but also for general use.
[...]
What do people think about something like that?

A well designed RF front end that makes DC-3GHz look like some common analog IF would bring us much closer to using SDR.

A modular "OEM" unit that could be either used as is or integrated into a larger modular whole receiver design would be an excellent building block.

One concern I've always had about wideband receivers is their poor interferer performance due to a lack of sufficient pre-selection prior to mixing. DC-3GHz scanners on the consumer market are an example, as are some wideband receive amateur radio gear.

So, personally, I'd like to see an emphasis on this. Maybe a separate "pre-selection" module that can carve up the input spectrum with a little more granularity than is usually the case would be the right way to go.

-Johnathan, AE6HO