[Discuss-gnuradio] Python documentation coming...

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python documentation coming...
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:47:28 -0800

Now that we're using SWIG 1.2.23+, there's a path that can get us
from the C++ docs into python docs.

The latest SWIG versions have an option to generate python doc strings
that give the calling sequence for all wrapped methods and functions.
See the SWIG docs on %feature("autodoc","1") and %feature("docstring")

By using doxygen's XML output option, we'll be able to massage the
detailed inline docs from the C++ code into proper docstrings for
python.  Then we'll use epydoc to extract them out of the python code
to produce html, etc.

It'll go something like this:

documented C++ code --> doxygen --> html files
                                --> xml files

parse the xml files and create a swig_doc.i file that SWIG will read
along with everything else. Then use epydoc to extract and format the
fully pythonized documentation.

It should look pretty good.

Stay tuned, as I sort this mess out ;-)

Eric