[Discuss-gnuradio] A simple USB 2.0 ADC board

From: Vladimir Dergachev
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] A simple USB 2.0 ADC board
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 12:37:27 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I have finally got around to finishing the project I started a while ago - a simple USB 2.0 board with one ADC chip.

It is targetted for someone who wants to tinker with the hardware (as opposed to buying the excellent USRP board from Matt Ettus).

  Features:

      * simple two layer board, 3" by 3.1", costs about $30 for a fresh
        pair from www.futurlec.com, including shipping

      * only 3 surface mount parts (all ICs), with CY7C68013 "FX2" chip
        being the worst to solder - but doable !

      * No FPGAs, all software you need is Open Source (SDCC compiler,
        Linux system with libusb, some source code on my website - or
        write it yourself)

      * External connectors for expansion and play with FX2 output pins.

      * Extend the design as you please

I don't think I spent significantly less than the price of USRP, but this includes parts I ended up not using and two iterations of boards made. Also, the prices for FX2 chips appear to have come down since I bought mine.

  I posted a webpage with pictures, pcb layout and comments:

  http://volodya-project.sf.net/SR/sr.php

I'll post more info as time permits (in particular the results of noise performance testing and screenshots of real-time capture).

  Comments and suggestions are greatly appretiated !

                         best

                             Vladimir Dergachev