Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] _gnuradio_swig_python import error on Mac OS X

From: Jonathan Jacky
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] _gnuradio_swig_python import error on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:22:03 -0700 (PDT)

ImportError: No module named _gnuradio_swig_python

I fixed it.

On Mac OS X, the build creates _gnuradio_swig_python.dylib.  But
python's import statement will only import files ending in .py, .pyc,
and .so (I found this by trying "python -vv").

I just put made a symbolic link _gnuradio_swig_python.so and pointed
it at _gnuradio_swig_python.dylib in the same directory.  That worked!

So now I've got an (apparently) working gnuradio-core-2.5 on Mac OS X.
I'll post a writeup of everything I had to do soon, after I've
cleaned up some loose ends.

Can someone explain where in the build (which Makefile or
whatever is relevant) is _gnuradio_swig_python built?  Perhaps I can
figure out where and how to change some switch so it builds an .so not
a .dylib on Mac OS X.  I feel a little guilty about just faking it
with a link ...

Jon Jacky

PS.  There is a patch for Python that gets it to import .dylib files
also, but it's a source patch, so I didn't bother.

 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/patches/2004-June/014925.html

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=641685&group_id=5470

PPS. I didn't have this problem when I built gnuradio 2.3 in January.
Sure enough, I find I have a _gnuradio_swig_python.so there.  The only
thing I have changed since then besides gnuradio itself is SWIG, I
moved from 1.3.22 to 1.3.24 as advised.  I've also installed a few OS
and security updates but I wouldn't think they changed the toolchain.