Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP heating up !

From: Javs
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP heating up !
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:32:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I tried the experiment again today and I think I
answered my question. I first ran the am_rcv.py
example which pops a GUI, a very tiny one since the
pre_demod, post_demod and post_filt blocks were
commented. And this was hiding on the top left corner
of my screen (I missed it). Assuming, there was no GUI
for this code, I used Cntrl C to kill it. Although I
wrongly assumed it was ended it actually was not
destroyed and was running its internal processes,
thereby heating the codecs.

I think the way the 'Destroy' destructor for the GUI's
is written is applicable only if we gracefully exit
the GUI (i.e. through File->exit  on the GUI). It
seems to me that Cntrl C does not totally kill the
internal processes in the codecs and they continuosly
receive the power.

Lesson learnt : Avoid using Cntrl C to close your
GUI's.

I still am not sure of one thing though. When I run
the example 'wfm_rcv_gui.py' with my basic d'board on
the A side, the codec on the B side heats up. It seems
like when I receive on A side the Codec on the other
side has no job . If this is true, I think a better
way to cut power to the unused codec would be to use
the 'which_side' logic. Or this is probably what Eric
was inkling at when he mentioned about ways to
ameliorate the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Javs