Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] An interesting application for my new USRP... som

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] An interesting application for my new USRP... some input requested
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:07:54 -0400

n4hy wrote:

HF sucks. It is full of very large signals that will typically hurt this kind of system (12 bit front end). You have to scale to handle the largest signal and the weaker ones go off the bottom, even after processing gain through the DDC. If you build filters and preamplifiers, you can hook up single banded front ends directly to the Basic RX inputs. These filters and preamps do not have to be super but do need to do some selection, filtering and amplification for your work. Then you can directly digitize and DDC the RF. I do not view this as a thing you would want to try
with the USRP "directly" hooked  to the antenna.

Yeah, my plan was to build four single-band front ends with a fair bit of bandpass filtering and some amplification. I have strong BCB nearby -- the broadband power at the bottom of my AMRAD active LF antenna up on the roof is about -6dBm, so I've got to tame that in order to have any hope of making things work.

John