[Discuss-gnuradio] FEC & iteration in gnuradio

From: Beck, Andrew Thomas - BECAT001
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] FEC & iteration in gnuradio
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:57:21 +0930

Hi, I'm new to gnuradio & am integrating some trellis based FEC
algorithms I have. I've designed a class structure that
will allow me to do this in a fairly straight forward manner. I wanted
to run this by somebody familiar with the project before I start
hacking. Is this the place to post?
Also, is there any structures in place to facilitate iterative
receiver structures? Just to clarify, I'm talking about, for example,
passing soft symbol information from the decoder and the signal mapper.
Passing information back to the equaliser is another option.
A turbo code is an obvious example where
you iterate between individual FEC's via an interleaver, passing
extrinsic information back and forth. However, there are lots of
other interesting structures available also. Anyway, I wasn't
sure if this fits into the existing data-flow structure. I suspect
it doesn't as it stands. I can code a turbo decoder as a standalone
block (essentially hiding the iterative nature behind the interface),
but it would be cool to be able to describe iterative structures
at a higher level ie the same as any other dataflow. What say y'all?

cheers,
andrew