Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help w/ simple AM tx program

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] help w/ simple AM tx program
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:35:02 +0000

Let me add just a quick comment on the' why'. Josh' transmitter was nearly DSB suppressed carrier.

The REASON for the DC offset is that the DC offset becomes the AM carrier after you heterodyne or mixer up to the operating frequency. Without the DC offset, you get DSB.

Now that Matt and I have added the complex carrier tracking PLL block, we will be able to build a synchronous AM detector shortly if Chuck does not get there first (which will be fine with me!). The difference in "rectify and filter" on AM broadcast and synchronous detection, where you remove the carrier to zero frequency and zero phase offset and then coherently add the two sidebands, is remarkable to listen to. HF shortwave broadcasts remain intelligible (though not necessarily great sounding) down close to the noise floor. The "overmodulation" from the carrier getting killed through selective fading just disappears and selective fading to one sideband is mostly covered up by the other. The closeness to the noise floor depends on your PLL loop bandwidth on the carrier removal.

One step after this would be a "Costas loop" recovery of DSB. It will not have the same noise performance as the SAM does since the transmitter is not wasting half its power sending carrier, but the sideband to noise ratio goes up enough to almost compensate. Matt and I started the PLL work doing a Costas loop but I think we detoured to a few other PLL based blocks before we got there. Last week seems like a blur now! If the Costas loop stuff is not there, I will try to get it in this coming week.

Bob