[Discuss-gnuradio] Re curve fitting

From: mike revnell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re curve fitting
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:11:39 -0700

Pretty much any worthy math package like Matlab, Mathcad or my favorite Scilab will have a variety of facilities for this.

As I recall from many years ago Mathcad has something that I believe was called linfit that was pretty easy to use.

I haven't actually done this in a long time so I can't make any difinitive recommendations but looking through the online help for scilab for "least squares" turns up a couple of possibilities:

leastsq is a nonlinear least squares fitter which is almost certainly far more elaborate than you need. lsq_splin does a least squares fit of a cubic spline function to the data. cubic splines are a mathematical version of the old rubber ruler splines we used to use in our engineering lab notebooks. datafit does "Parameter identification based on measured data" looks like the one most likely to be useful.

You can find more about Scilab at "http://www.scilab.org";. I like it because it's free, it's very powerful, and it uses mathematics libraries that have been around long enough to be well debugged.