[Discuss-gnuradio] Creating a New Thread?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Creating a New Thread?
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:22:07 -0500

Does GR have a preferred way to create a new thread? I don't know if it will work for what I need, but it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, then I have an email queued to Apple's USB list asking my next question:

The problem is in doing the USB callback under OSX at the - application- level, there seems to be no way to do it without blocking (via the run loop). There are other ways at lower levels, but those are -kernel- things, which really should be kept to kext's and such (and don't compile without easily in an application for whatever reason). So my thought is that, since the run loop is be applied to the whole application and all it's threads, to create a new thread to run the loop, thus freeing up both the "read", "write", and OSX callbacks from having to deal with this blocking.

It's worth noting that the LIBUSB folks are working on getting async and isoch data transport implemented in a more robust fashion ... but who knows when that will be released? - MLD