Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OS X Status

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OS X Status
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 21:46:58 -0500

When checked out from CVS, and with the "correct" background libraries and such, and the correct environment variables configured correctly, GR compiles without change and with few warnings. Check out Jon's instructions via < http://comsec.com/wiki?MacOsXTiger >. I will be posting instructions soon.

Background stuff can be installed via Fink, DarwinPorts, other's compiles, source, or some combination. The main trick is to get your environment variables correct ... again see Jon's instructions. I'm pretty sure most OSX folks are running on 10.4, but 10.3 could be an option.

When running -anything- python, use "pythonw", not "python". This is a wrapper to a framework version of python. Not sure other than that why.

Currently lacking are audio and fast USB support.

I have audio code that we're testing at UND, and I'll release sometime soon. There are a couple tweaks that I'll make, primarily to reduce latency between input and output (via "smarter" buffering).

I'm working on fast USB right now, and am getting close (or, at least things are looking that way with current testing). I don't know how much time I'll have until mid-next week, but I'll keep hacking away at it. Using multiple threads seems to do the trick (but I still have yet to successfully demonstrate "fast" usb throughput).

Hope this helps! - MLD