Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] first attempt at gnuradio - ssb phasing demod

From: Marcus Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] first attempt at gnuradio - ssb phasing demod
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:41:28 -0500

Robert W McGwier wrote:
We are giving away all the secrets. The only secrets in SDR DSP are how to make a complex filter and how to overlap-NNN based convolution of an FIR. All the rest is glue logic.

;-)

Having built 3 different applications based on GnuRadio at this point, I can say that Gnu Radio is one of the most monumental achievements in RF tinkering since the invention of the soldering iron :-) This from
 someone who was a distinct "non believer" two years ago...

The plethora of built-in blocks, and easy Python-based prototyping environment make playing with this stuff a pleasure. All without having to lose brain cells to leaded-solder fumes :-)

I'm working on a paper for presentation at the upcoming SARA conference on Gnu Radio applications in amateur radio astronomy. But there are so many other areas where this stuff really shines--witness
 HF Explorer, and Bobs stereo FM receiver work.

Of course, there's still a lot of "brick and mortar" as well. Matts work on the USRP and various daughtercards has allowed us all to focus on the applications end of things. For that, we (and VISA :-) ) are all grateful.