Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SuSE 10.0 build experience

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] SuSE 10.0 build experience
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:35:12 -0800

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:08:44AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> On Sunday 12 March 2006 07:55, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 March 2006 23:01, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 13:05, Eric Blossom wrote:
> > > My DVD, whilst providing most development tools, didn't have gnu gcc and
> > > g++. It was missing and I had to build it from sources. sdcc is missing
> > > too and I have yet to build it.
> >
> > The Linux Magazine SuSE 10.0 'non-OSS' DVD perhaps?
> >
> > You need to point YaST at an online installer and off of the DVD once you
> > install, then grab the other bits you need.  There's lots missing on that
> > DVD, like PostgreSQL....
> >
> > I got one of those, too, and getting it 'fixed' took a little while.  Linux
> > Magazine's site has information (this is the UK Linux Magazine, BTW)
>
> Thanks, yes its the DVD from linux-magazine.com. I've since upgraded to
> 10.1-beta6.
>
> Whilst the Suse installation process is as smooth as it can get, it is
> unfortunately pretty rough around the edges when it comes to installing
> packages using YaST2. Many packages are missing, some packages don't come
> with their *-devel companions and some don't even exist requiring building
> from sources.

I think the problem is that everything doesn't fit on the single-layer
DVD image that you can download for free.  If you pay a few bucks, they'll
send you a double-layer DVD that's got everything you need, or I think
there are mirrors somewhere with the missing packages.

Explanation here: http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/16076.html

Eric